50 Billion Dollar Boss: African American Women Sharing Stories of Success in Entrepreneurship and Leadership
New York, NY (BlackNews.com) — 50 Billion Dollar Boss: African American Women Sharing Stories of Success in Entrepreneurship and Leadership is a refreshing and intriguing book featuring twelve African American female entrepreneurs and their rise to the top of their field. The book, published by Palgrave Macmillan, will be released on November 3, 2015, in time for the holiday season. First time author Kathey Porter is an accomplished small business development, entrepreneurship and supplier diversity expert. Andrea Hoffman, a business strategist and new markets expert specializing in the inclusion driven innovation, is the co-author.
Inspired by the 2015 State of Women-Owned Businesses report commissioned by American Express OPEN, African-American women are starting businesses in unprecedented numbers. Their growth in numbers and economic clout is generally far outpacing that of other women-owned entities, up 322% from 1997 to 2015 and generating over $50 billion in revenue.
“It is, in a sense, a second Black Renaissance, creating a phenomenon they are calling the 50 Billion Dollar Boss,” says Porter and Hoffman.
Their book 50 Billion Dollar Boss profiles 12 highly successful female entrepreneurs with businesses in various industries ranging from marketing and fashion to cosmetics and construction and everything in between. It chronicles their personal challenges, resilience and triumph in realizing their dream of owning a successful business.
“Most of the women featured in 50 Billion Dollar Boss are first generation entrepreneurs who have built impressive and dynamic businesses with few role models to emulate. Our hope is that their inspiring stories will encourage other women to explore entrepreneurship,” stated Porter and Hoffman.
The entrepreneurs and leaders featured in the book include:
* Dr. Lisa Williams, Founder and CEO World of EPI, LLC, Creator of Positively Perfect(TM)
* Monif Clarke, Founder and CEO, Monif C. Plus Sizes
* Yolanda H. Caraway, Founder & CEO, The Caraway Group
* Dana Hill, Founder and CEO, Cocotique
* Melinda Emerson, the “SmallBizLady,” President, Quintessence Group
* Twyla Garrett, President and CEO, IME
* Ricki Fairley, Founder, President, and Thought Leader of Dove Marketing
* Lola C. West, Managing Director, WestFuller Advisors, LLC
* Dr. Michele Hoskins, Founder & CEO, Michele Foods
* Laura Weidman-Powers, Co-Founder and CEO, CODE2040
* Joy Rohadfox, President & CEO, Rohadfox Construction Control Services Corporation
* Lisa Lambert, Vice President| Managing Director, Software and Services and Diversity Equity Fund, Intel Capital
For more information about the author or the book, visit www.50bdb.com and/or find them on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/50bdb
About the Authors
Kathey Porter is a Supplier Diversity Director and an expert on small business development, supplier diversity, and entrepreneurship and has been an adjunct business instructor for over ten years. Andrea Hoffman, is the CEO of Culture Shift Labs and a top-tier strategist, dealmaker, and business development veteran with over 23 years of experience.